CITY A.M. published a very poor article about how, ‘just under a third of black employees say that discrimination has affected their career progression’.

The accuracy of this article is questionable and appears to be inaccurate based upon the statistics shared by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).

Firstly the article does not make sense and is confusing, If only 29 per cent of black employees say that discrimination has affected their career progression what exactly do the remaining 71 per cent say?

Surely this cannot be accurate, it’s either the 71 per cent of black employees:

  1. have not been interviewed; or
  2. Because of the discrimination occurring on a daily basis, they are terrified of telling the truth for the fear of losing their jobs or further more being targeted for job losses (especially taking into account that these people have bills, mortgages and families to take care of).

This article highlights the need for measures to be put in place to ensure that people’s jobs are secured and protected when providing information for surveys or any form of research otherwise there will always be inaccuracies in the information published in comparison to what is actually going on .

The truth comes at a cost for some people, fact.


CITY A.M. article (4 December 2017):

Just under a third of black employees say that discrimination has affected their career progression, according to a study out today of over 1,000 employees by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).

The CIPD said 29 per cent of black employees felt discrimination had played a part in a lack of career progress to date, compared to 11 per cent of white employees.

Jill Miller, diversity and inclusion adviser at the CIPD, said: “Organisations need to understand where the barriers to progression for different groups lie, and use this information to level the playing field and enable talented people to reach their potential at work.

She added that it was important not to assume “that one solution will remove progression barriers for all.”

Full story: www.cityam.com/276797/nearly-third-black-employees-feel-discrimination-has